Thursday, February 21, 2013

Greetings from CPT

Greetings from the Cape,

     Sun hammers, South-Westerly winds blow, taxi whistlers ringout, scent of boerwors at the braai, picture-perfect views...has to be Cape Town.

     My experience in Cape Town so far has been incredible. I am enjoying my time as I travel the city to work, taste the local cuisine, and interact with community members of Hanover Park. I am currently working as an intern for the non-profit organization, Inyathelo: The South African Institute for Advancement. Inyathelo is working to make sustainable advancements in civil society through strengthening higher education and encouraging philanthropic action. My focus in the organization has been non-profit advocacy and writing short biographies to highlight philanthropic giving in South Africa.

     Amendment legislation will be presented to Parliament in March, which pertains to the National Lotteries and the distribution of funds in civil society. Inyathelo is conducting research and proposal submissions that will advocate for better monitoring and evaluation of this financial disbursement. It has been interesting to learn about Parliament and the way in which South Africa conducts government affairs. I am able to gain a better understanding of procedures and how citizens are able to participate in the governing procedures. This will most definitely be an on-going learning experience.

    Along with this research, I am able to learn more about philanthropy in South Africa through writing short biographies of nominated philanthropist. Inyathelo hosts an annual Philanthropy Awards in order to honor those who have given of their time, monies, and resources. I have been able to see the selfless giving of individuals, and it has truly been inspiring. The stories I have seen from these individuals are powerful, because their passion and motivations are incredible strong and enduring.

    Outside of the work I am doing with Inyathelo, I have been able to work with the Community Works Program at Hanover Park. These community leaders are doing great work by creating initiatives that address high school dropout, early childhood education, and gang resistance. These individuals continuously work with a cheerful attitude, but at the same time, "no-nonsense". They have been my mothers in the Cape, and they always make sure I leave them with a smile on my face and plenty of food in my belly.

    Great to post. As for now, I am off to continue the adventure. More to come...



Riley

No comments:

Post a Comment